The Build Salford Consortium brings together like – minded businesses and partners from across the construction sector who are committed to providing tangible training, apprenticeships and employment opportunities for some of Salford’s most disadvantage young people. A core part of the Build Salford support is the traineeship programme.
The traineeship programme consists of a ‘getting site ready’ phase of 3-4 week including site visits, health and safety qualifications and test such as CSCS and the planning of a customised work placement. This is followed by an 8 week work placement during which there is support for applications to apprenticeships etc.
6 Traineeship Programmes delivered
72 young people started
60 of them progressed into Employment, Education and Training
“This programme is simply the best example I have ever come across of a group of employers coming together to provide a programme for unemployed young people facing so many challenges that results in so many going into apprenticeships with the employers involved. I am proud to be a part of Build Salford.” Allan Milne, Head of Apprenticeships and Business Development, Salford City College
- The fifteen construction employers and housing providers now additionally provide:
- Introduction to Construction courses for unemployed people (Led by Keepmoat Homes)
- Careers Café events to encourage women into Construction
- Try your hand at Construction events for young people in alternative education settings
- Try your hand at construction with school for young people with additional needs
- Involvement in School Curriculums
- Site visits for unemployed young people
The employers are keen to welcome new construction employers to the consortium and are planning to broaden out the offer of ‘social value’ initiatives to improve employment and skills opportunities for Salford residents.